At the risk of repeating myself, I ask this question: why do we have to witness the merry-go-round of sleazebags lying and conning their way around the world in an attempt to convince a group of money grabbing toerags that the football World Cup should be hosted by their respective countries? It is tiresome, tedious, trickery and very, very boring.
What is wrong with having a rotational system? I see many benefits and zero negatives:
- Every country would be given the opportunity to host an event, subject to meeting the required standards.
- Host countries would know decades in advance when it was their turn, enabling them to plan it better.
- There would be no need for the bribery we see today each time an event is to be allocated.
- Countries could stop squandering ridiculous amounts of money on other ‘legitimate’ methods of persuading those that hold the voting powers. The 1,752 page book produced by the FA for England’s bid for the 2018 World Cup being a perfect example.
- When a country’s turn to host is due, but they do not wish to accept it, they go to the back of the line and the opportunity to host is offered to the next country in the list. Simple.